E-mail - clients & transporters

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sun Jan 28 01:32:55 EST 2001

Hi:

The disadvantage of using pine to send and receive mail directly to and
from your ISP is that you need to be online to do stuff.  You may as well
telnet or SSH into their host and use pine there.  If you set up your own
SMTP server properly, you can do neat stuff like read and write mail while
offline (like I am doing now), and have linux send your mail off when you
next log into your ISP.

MTA's are complex due to all the stuff they can and should be able to do,
which is why worked examples are a good way to start with these things.  I
use exim so I can't help with sendmail.  However, I doubt that you need to
actually edit source code to configure sendmail to send to a smarthost.

Geoff.