list guidelines

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Fri Jan 26 12:55:30 EST 2001

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 raul at asmodean.net wrote:
> Yours is one of those that comes up with the wrong character set.  So this
> means that since you are using outlook express you are either sending html
> or rich text messages.

While he is using Outlook Express ver 5.5 he is NOT sending html or rich
text. In fact, for the record, if you are not using the same character
set, you are most likely the person who is non-compliant with RFC
standards. Chances are you are using an older version of Pine.

I am using the same chacter set. And it is the default. But I have a
fairly recent version of Pine. Pine was first written before extended
character sets were common. But with the internationalization of the
internet the need for characters outside our precious English language
were needed. This gave rise to the extended character sets. In essense it
starts with plain ascii and adds charcters needed (or desired) for a given
region. These also coincide with the country code pages if you have seen
some settings for that.

Again, if you are recieving the message regularly you are probably the one
who is NOT folling the RFC on the subject (sorry but the exact number
exscapes me right now). You (probably) can change this. If you can't you
really should consider upgrading your version of Pine. There are other
neat features that have been added as well.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Cluelessness
	There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of
	inquisitive idiots