/dev/synth

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Wed Jan 17 06:26:53 EST 2001

Chris -
The rate change commands work on my LT and I do not have a /dev/synth
device. I have speakup 0.10 (not 0.10A) with kernel 2.2.18 and a
doubletalk lite. I read the rate value with a cat command and change it
with an echo command. This is what I use:

to read the rate:
cat /proc/speakup/rate

to change the rate:
echo 9 >/proc/speakup/rate

Actually 9 is too fast for my old ears but 8 is just about right. Both
these commands work for me as a normal user.
HTH.
Chuck