/dev/synth

Jim Danley Jim at Danley.com
Wed Jan 17 02:27:24 EST 2001

Yes, no, and no.

To create /dev/synth, logged in as root, do:

mknod /dev/synth -m 0666 c 10 25

It has not been fully implemented, but once you create the device as
above, you can send directly to the synth with something like:

echo hello world > /dev/synth
or
echo ^V^A9s > /dev/synth

However, writing to /dev/synth is not the only way to talk directly to
your synth.  In the /proc/speakup directory you will notice a directory
named after your synthesizer.  In that directory you will notice a file
named "direct".  Anything that you write to this file will go directly
to your synth.  In the case of the Doubletalk LT, you could do:

echo Hi Chris > /proc/speakup/litetalk/direct
or
echo ^V^A9s > /proc/speakup/litetalk/direct

	Jim