setting rate with doubletalk lt

Chris Nestrud ccn at uark.edu
Mon Jan 15 15:24:59 EST 2001

This is me trying to set the rate and such. Their isn't any change in the
rate, though /proc/speakup/rate does update with changes that I echo to
it. I also notice that if I type something in a shell, the first letter of
the first line of reply text isn't spoken. As an example, if I'm in bash
and type an invalid command, the first word spoken is "ash" instead of
"bash". Any other lines after the first are spoken correctly. I'm using
speakup-0.10a.tar.gz,. Very strange. After playing with things for a
moment, it appears as if the strings which should be interpreted by the
synth as rate changes are bleeding through. It does this for volume,
pitch, and probably others.

 Begin Transcript
pfui:~# cat /proc/speakup/version
Speakup v-0.10
pfui:~# cat /proc/speakup/litetalk/version
Version-0.10
pfui:~# cat /proc/speakup/rate
5
pfui:~# echo "9" > /proc/speakup/rate