USB scanners and linux

Thomas D. Ward tward at bright.net
Thu Jan 11 13:34:09 EST 2001

Basically, with the scanners you just compile a 2.2.18 Kernel for your Linux
distro, and while making the config file select USB support, and answer yes
to the USB scanner support.
Most scanners will work with the generic driver. Read the documentation that
comes with the 2.218 Kernel to get a complete list of scanners supported.
As far as I can tell Red Hat seams to find my Umax Astra just fine, but I
haven't tested it with some scanner packages yet.