Rolling My Own

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Wed Jan 3 10:03:25 EST 2001

Hi, Geoff:

I'll check freshmeat re bell replacements.

RE Pine and using the precompiled binaries--they may, in fact, work. But,
I'm leary particularly of rpms that aren't specifically Redhat, though
using the -iv argument usually keeps nastiness from happening.

Main reason, though, is that I want to increase my efficiency in handling
mail. If I stay weith Pine, and it is the one I know best, the first step,
but only the first step for me, is to change the order of summary
information presented in Pine's index screen. I notice that I often judge
messages by their subject--e.g., I tend not to join read threads about
video programming on my linux lists. So, my first step is to hear this
data sooner. My next step is to give myself a hot key that will copy the
subject into Pine's search, delete and expunge routines so that I can
automate dumping the messages I don't care about. My third step, by the
way, will be to hotkey the gravbbing of email addresses from mail and
adding them to a procmail kill file. I get about a dozen garbage mail adds
daily--sex, get rich quick, etc.

Obviously, I can do these things by hand--but that's time consuming. And,
in my mind, whenever I find myself repeatedly doing the same series of
keyboard procedures, my mind always jumps to the though "automate this,
and simplify your life."

				Janina

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development

janina at afb.net
(202) 408-8175
http://www.afb.org/gov.html

The invention of the printing press has been named the crowning
achievement of the past millennium. Yet, electronic publishing will soon
eclipse it. Read our White Paper: "Surpassing Gutenberg" available at:

	http://www.afb.org/ebook.html

Are you developing software? Make it accessible to blind computer users.
Read http://www.afb.org/technology/accessapp.html to learn how.