Rolling My Own

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Tue Jan 2 10:34:39 EST 2001

Hello All -- and Happy New Year to all:

Like many of you, I've become comfortable with compiling applications and
rolling out linux kernels with Speakup compiled in. Well, OK, I've become
somewhat comfortable with the basics. In other words, I'm ready to take
the next tentative step. For me, this means tweaking some of my pet peaves
with my computer into behaving like I want them to behave, rather than
living with the defaults.

I have two tweaks that I want to put into effect:

1.)	The system bell stinks, imho. I hate that 1 kHz (or whatever) tone
that one gets with Ctrl-G, ASCII char 7, or %BELL, or whatever the heck
it's called in one programming environment or other. I want something
else. The something else I want I can already effect in a simple shell
script. Where and how do I make this the default? I presume this is
somewhere in the kernel code as a call of some sort that I would
substitute my own call with. Gak, what terrible grammar, but I suspect
you'll get the idea;

2.)	I intend to keep using Pine. Because I have Caldera on my portable
system, I have to compile from sources if I want to upgrade to the latest
and greatest. This gives me the opportunity to tweak, hopefully, how the
Pine index is displayed. In other words, I want to change the order of
summary info Pine will display when a folder's index is on screen;

Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated.
 --

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development

janina at afb.net
(202) 408-8175
http://www.afb.org/gov.html

The invention of the printing press has been named the crowning
achievement of the past millennium. Yet, electronic publishing will soon
eclipse it. Read our White Paper: "Surpassing Gutenberg" available at:

	http://www.afb.org/ebook.html

Are you developing software? Make it accessible to blind computer users.
Read http://www.afb.org/technology/accessapp.html to learn how.