Help with Kernel install.

Thomas Ward tward at bright.net
Mon Jan 1 19:22:06 EST 2001

Hello, list. Today I have been having some problems getting a 2.2.18 Kernel
working.
I have downloaded the Speakup v-0.10 source, and have successfully applied
the patch to the Linux 2.2.18 Kernel source tree.
However, while building the bzImage I have been getting some warnings, and
then after word as might be expected the kernel will boot but then go into
Kernel panic.
I have been trying to boot it off of a boot disk just for this vary reason.
I don't want to kill my working 2.2.16 Kernel until I know the 2.2.18 will
work.
If I believe the exact error was:

"root file system not found at 03-02."
How do I direct the Kernel to /dev/hda1 I tried the Linux root=/dev/hda1
command for some reason it is still giving me that error.
Thanks for any help you might have.