Announcing TRPlayer 1.2.0

Matthew Campbell mattcampbell at pobox.com
Sat Feb 24 02:26:34 EST 2001

I have just released version 1.2.0 of the Text-Mode RealMedia Player
(TRPlayer), a RealMedia player for Unix which has a command-line
interface.  The following things have changed since TRPlayer 1.1.5,
which was the last "stable" release:

1.  TRPlayer now works with RealPlayer 8 by default.

2.  There is now a status line which can be displayed on demand or
updated continuously.

3.  The 'u' command displays the URL of the currently playing stream.

4.  The source package now uses autoconf and automake to provide a
standard compilation procedure and to help make TRPlayer more portable
to Unix systems besides Linux.

Note that this version of TRPlayer has a lower version number than
previous "beta" releases of version 2.0.  Therefore, if you'ore
installing TRPlayer from the Debian package, you may need to include
the --force-downgrade option in the dpkg command line.  I decided to
do this release because TRPlayer needs to support RealPlayer 8 by
default, and this version of TRPlayer is quite stable now, but there
haven't been enough substantial changes to give the new release a
version number of 2.0.

Also, from now on, I will follow the example of the Linux kernel when
assigning version numbers to TRPlayer.  This means that future
development versions will have a version number of 1.3.x, and the next
major stable release will have a version number of 1.4.0 or 2.0.0,
depending on how substantial the changes are.

I'm sorry for any confusion I may have caused in this area.  I hope it
is all straightened out now, so that development can continue in a
more predictable manner.

For more information about TRPlayer and to download the latest
version, go to the TRPlayer home page at:

http://www.linux-speakup.org/trplayer.html

--
Matt Campbell <http://www.pobox.com/~mattcampbell/>  ICQ #:  33005941