/proc/speakup

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Tue Feb 20 02:10:46 EST 2001

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Kirk Wood wrote:

> I think that this idea is the best one. Perhaps the ownership of the files
> could be root.speakup. Then a person can add anyone they desire to the
> speakup group for access.

This is a good idea, but can't be done (or at least, can't be done easily).
Remember that the proc files are vertual files, not actual files.  Because
of this, you can't change the ownership of them like you would ordinary
files.  Jim or Kirk can't hard-code in this ownership either.  The reason
is that the ownership is determined by user and group ID numbers.  Kirk and
Jim have no way of knowing what group ID such a speakup group would have on
a system, and speakup wouldn't be able to look in /etc/group when it loads
because the file system wouldn't yet be mounted.  So, as far as I can see,
root has to be the owner and group since you know that they are user and
group 0.

Geoff.