best ethernet card for linux

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sun Feb 18 22:06:13 EST 2001

Hi:

For getting started, I'd recommend a card that can be compiled into the
kernel, as you then don't have to worry about loading modules and all that
stuff.  A kernel-supported card is also likely to be detected by an
installer, if you haven't installed yet.  A good place to start is the
ethernet howto, as it discusses all supported cards.  Do check for the most
recent version though.

Probably the least amount of fuss is a PCI card, as they pretty much set
themselves up and you don't have to worry much about IRQs and isapnp stuff.
However, don't let me put you off from using an ISA card that you already
have that's supported (I use an intel etherexpress pro which is ISA).

Geoff.