/proc/speakup

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Wed Feb 14 19:58:29 EST 2001

Hi:

Well of course, you can still be behind a firewall if you run one on the
linux box itself, but your point is a good one.  As much as I don't fear
hackers, I am bothered that another user could arbitrarily set my speech
params to something else, like the volume to minimum or something.  Jim and
I are debating this currently on the reflector.

My current thinking is to make it all root writeable only and get users to
implement sudo for non-root access, but unless you want to force this
situation onto people you need to make the proc/speakup permissions
settable, which they aren't at present.

Geoff.