saving settings

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Wed Feb 14 10:16:52 EST 2001

Well that was high on my list of dumb suggestions!

Using Bill's "cp -R" command in reverse creates a bunch of things that
cannot be reloaded with the straightforward "cp -R" command. Several of
the pseudo-files under /proc/speakup are "read only" such as flush and
version to name two. I deleted those from my /etc/speakup directory, then
deleted the directory /etc/speakup/litetalk. There were three other files
that produced input-output errors when they were copied back into the
/proc system - probably due to how the backslashes were handled -
caps_start, caps_stop, and punc_all. I deleted those files from my
/etc/speakup directory too, and now everything that remains can be both
read and written without errors.

When I use "cat" to display /proc/speakup/caps_stop it begins with a pair
of backslashes, but when I look at the file /etc/speakup/caps_stop there
is only a single backslash shown. In that form it produces an input-output
error when copied back to the /proc system, and also when the backslash is
doubled.
Chuck

My web site is http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh
The Moon is Waning Gibbous (56% of Full)