speakup

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sun Feb 4 20:43:58 EST 2001

Well, you'll need to recompile the kernel. But, it doesn't need to be as
painful a process as it was the first time. Here's what I'd do:

1.)	Save your .config file to a safe place. I cp mine to
/usr/src/config-2.x.y;

2.)	Delete your existing kernel tree, and create a fresh one;

3.)	Run the Speakup checkout script;

4.)	Copy the file you saved to a safe location in Step #1 above to
/usr/src/linux/.config;

5.)	Edit this .config file with your favorite editor. Do not change
values. If you want to change anything, just delete the complete line for
that thing. In particular, delete the lines that talk about Speakup. Save
this edited .config when you're done deleting things;

6.) Run make oldconfig and answer the questions. You'll be asked about the
things you deleted. The rest of your .config will simply be used as it was
before;

7.)	Finish up as before, with make dep, bzImage, etc.

As Kirk says in the Speakup INSTALLATION file, running make config is the
tedious part. The good news is that you don't need to do that over again
to upgrade your Speakup. That's the beauty of make oldconfig.