New to LINUX

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Mon Dec 31 20:32:34 EST 2001

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, Chuck Kyle wrote:

>     1. When will Tuxtalk be available?

TuxTalk's availability is off the horizon at present.  2 things need to
happen before it can be used with speakup:

1.  The architecture of speakup needs to be changed so that synth drivers
can be loaded as modules.  This is needed because the TuxTalk software will
need to load later in the boot process.  Note that this is a very big job
and will take some time to get done.

2.  The speech output needs to be improved.  Take it from me, it sounds
pretty average right now.  If you haven't heard it, grab it from CVS or try
installing the rsynth package (I know Debian packages it).  If anyone knows
of developers with speech synthesis knowledge, we'd like to talk to them.

Of course, point 2 above is more a cosmetic thing than a necessity, but
trust me, you don't really want to use it as it is.

Geoff.