recording

Gregory Nowak gnowak1 at uic.edu
Wed Dec 26 15:04:34 EST 2001

Hi all,

I am trying to record a test wave file.
I got alsa setup the way I want thanks to some people who suggested using alsamixer instead of amixer.
I know my microphone works, because I can hear myself in the speakers.
However, when I do "rec test.wav", I don't hear anything upon playing the wav file.
When I do "arecord test.wav" I get the following error.

ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:598:(snd_pcm_hw_open) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_PVERSION failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
arecord: main:445: audio open error: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Could someone please tell me how to fix this so I could record, or what am I doing wrong here? Thanks.
Greg