rebuilding kernel

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sun Dec 16 17:04:10 EST 2001

Hi, Darrel:

Glad you got the modified iso's from the speakup site. Sure saves work and
time.

Seems, however, that my advice wasn't fully correct. Someone, don't
remember who now, posted here about ext3 support being in the generic
kernel now, as of 2.4.16, as I recall. Also, it's in the newer 2.2.X,
though I don't track those any longer.

One more piece of advice that I am very sure is correct! <grin>

There's a wonderful script called up2date that will update your
installation to the very latest Redhat releases. You need to register your
system first, and that's only mildly painful. You get to register as many
systems as you like for free, but you can only have one at a time active
for free. If you want more than one active at a time, you pay a nominal
amount. Not bad, imho, for supporting Redhat. <grin>

In any case, registration happens at https://www.rhns.redhat.com

You can, if you wish, manage updates right from that web page, but I
prefer to do it by hand on my schedule, particular for a portable system
which is sometimes on a fast broadband connection, and sometimes on a
modem from overseas. Once you're registered, you can just do this by hand
by running the up2date command as root. I usually give it as follows:

up2date -u --nox --nosig

The --nox is important to keep the display in character mode.