location of cdrom

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sun Dec 16 06:39:25 EST 2001

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, dannyboy wrote:

> My floppy is /dev/fd0 and the hard drive's linux is on /dev/hda5.  How is
> a cdrom accessed with linux?  Do I need to mount that drive?  Is there a
> way to fix it so I do not have to mount the floppy after logging on all
> the time?

To answer your auto-mounting question, you place an entry in /etc/fstab.
This will also allow you to type for example:

mount /floppy

Here is my floppy drive's entry in my fstab:

/dev/fd0  /floppy msdos defaults,noauto 0 0

the noauto tells linux not to mount it automatically.  If you want it to
mount automatically, remove the noauto specification.  Keep in mind however
that you may not have a floppy disk in the drive and I don't know what
happens if it tries to automatically mount a disk that's not there.

?For more info on fstab,type 'man fstab'.

Geoff.