transfering linux system to another hard drive

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at chartermi.net
Tue Dec 4 11:17:43 EST 2001

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Gregory Nowak wrote:

> Format your new drive, and create the ext2 or whatever Linux fs you want.

Does creating the file system happen when I initialize athe partitions or
is this a separate step that I need to do? Since I am probably going to
use the rescue disk for debian potato r2  (speakup enabled) I think this
means
the system will be ext2 though I would eventually like to go to ext3.

Next, mount your new drive to /mnt
or whatever mount point you want.

Am I trying to mount the whole drive or just the root partition?  Since
this hard drive is a lot larger than my old one, I was considering putting
some directorie on other partitions. Does this just mean I mount the
appropriate partition to transfer those directories? With a 20-gig hard
drive, I'll have a really big partition if I put the whole system (minus
boot and swap and a dos partition) on one partition.

Then, prepare a loadlin disk to
> boot your new drive.

Where should I look for information about doing a loadlin disk? The only
way I've ever used loadlin before is on a dos drive to boot into linux.

Thanks.

Cheryl