command line prompt

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Sat Aug 25 10:12:55 EDT 2001

You are right about that, Captain Kirk -

A few years ago somebody did a survey of interface preferences among
software developers. That is a specialized group of course, and probably
very different from the "man on the street" that some are worried
about. (okay okay - "person on the street")

What was interesting about that survey was they described three different
models of computer interface. The first was a GUI (either X or Windows or
whatever); the second was an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) such
as Emacs and the like; the third was the CLI (Command Line
Interface) which is where Unix/Linux shines. It is not surprising that the
CLI was preferred by these power users, the IDE was second, and the GUI
was least preferred, although each interface earned at least some votes
for first choice. The thing is, that the CLI lets the user (hell, it
_BEGS_ the user) to tailor it to meet his own unique needs.

What I learned from this survey was that these are truly three viable
models of interface, and none of them is in danger of disappearing any
time soon.

Chuck

PS: It occurs to me that as we all know, "GNU" stands for "GNU is Not
Unix" - but it is also tru that Linux is Not GNU (pronounced "New")

Sorry for the pun.

Visit me at http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh