Being able to upgrade linux in the future

Watson, Keith kwatson at grtk.com
Fri Aug 24 09:33:18 EDT 2001

Hi Peter,

Depends on who you ask. Bill Acker prefers to backup all pertinant data then
do a fresh install. Nothing wrong with this other that it requires a few
extra steps and a working knowledge of where everything resides. Myself, I
use the upgrade feature that comes with RH. I have not had a problem with it
yet. Although being more than a little paranoid I tend to backup pertinant
data before attempting the upgrade.

I myself am going to go to the beta as soon as it gets uploaded to my server
( winks at Bill ). I will copy my /home, /etc, /usr/local, and /usr/src
directories to another location. Boot the incredibly helpful talking iso's
and perform the upgrade. If it should happen to screw up my system at least
I have a way to recover.

Hope this helps.

Keith