sblive speaker configurations

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Tue Aug 21 17:43:07 EDT 2001

If someone knows the answer to this one, I would appreciate your
suggestions.

I have an sblive sound card and am using the alsa drivers. Everything is
working fine - except for one peculiarity concerning how my speakers are
connected. I have two pairs of speakers - one pair is amplified and the
other is not. I have the amplified speakers connected to "line out" on the
sound card, and the unamplified pair to "speakers". I would prefer to
abandon the unamplifiked speakers, but when playing a CD sound source or a
"line input" source, it is only the unamplified speakers that can produce
sound output - the amplified speakers connected to "line out" are
silent. I cannot figure out why.

I use the alsa mixer program "amixer" to set such things as volume,
capture, mute, etcetera, and when I play a CD the settings are "on" and
"capture" - "mute" is not selected.

I do not see anything in the amixer output that I recognize having any
bearing on this issue, the silencing of "line out" when playing CD or
"line input" sources.  If anyone has any ideas, I would sure appreciate
hearing them. I would be happy to post a copy of my amixer ouput if that
would be helpful - it is not that big.

Thanks - Chuck

Visit me at http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh