fwd: vim

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Tue Aug 21 10:56:14 EDT 2001

Yea but what if he wants to insert the shell output into the middle of an
existing file?

Here is what I just tried in vim.
Type the following command sequence to insert the current date/time into
your file:
:r !dt
:r reads in a supposed file but !command is substituted for that file name
and the output of the command will come into the file.  Quite clever, I
shalle say.:)