Major problem with Speakup.

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sat Aug 18 10:50:34 EDT 2001

Thomas:

If you're having these problems now, why do you think that X will solve
them? I don't see the logic of that at all.

Instead, may I suggest that folks here would be happy to help you untangle
the issues you are having now? For example, my advice--and, again, I
realize you didn't ask for it--would be to forego cvs and resolve first
some of these other problems you're listing. How about let's get a basic
install working on your system first?

As I recall, it's a pretty nice box that you've set aside for linux. Are
you dual booting? Or, is there another computer in your life? Exactly what
devices are available on your various computers? I ask this in a basic
attempt to elicit a reasonable, cheap, way to get your various
machines--if indeed there are more than one--networked one to another.
But, only if you want to pursue it.

Also, I understand the complaint about breaking open a box in order to
remove or install hardware. Still, do you have cards sitting around that
aren't installed in any of your boxes? Or is it a case of pulling from one
in order to put into another. I wouldn't want to do that, certainly--but
it still doesn't mean there isn't a cheap and easy way to get the boxes
talking one to another.
 On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Thomas D. Ward wrote:

> Hi, Janina and all. Well, I wasn't going to get into this, but I'll explain
> why my Linux computer wasn't networked, and also had the modem taken out.
> I've never mastered the operating system, and have never gotten the OS
> completely working to my satisfaction.
> I've tried just about every dialer and none have been able to get me on the
> net. One I've been working with is wvdial, and it will dial, run ppp, and
> then freeze solid.
> I have tried getting Samba going, butTCIP and home networking can be
> extremely confusing.
> Thus I keep Linux around to fool with, but I have never intended making it
> my primary operating system until X-Windows is accessable, I can scan books,
> and actually get my ISP to work. I've tried two ISP's and neither would work
> properly.
> So I have to solve many problems before I can even aquire the CVS patches.

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp