problem after upgrading to slackware 8.0

Gregory Nowak romualt at megsinet.net
Tue Aug 14 20:47:26 EDT 2001

Hi again,

I've got an update on this, and it's a strange one.
I found that the problem is with e2fsck itself.  When I just type e2fsck, it just hangs until I hit ctrl-c.  I had upgraded to the 2.4.x kernels before efsprog.tgz was available on the slackware sight (or at least before I knew that it was there).  This meant that I compiled e2fsprogs-2.2.19 from sources.  Since I still had these in /usr/src/e2fsprogs-2.2.19/, I did a make install, and ran e2fsck with no options, and it worked just fine.  I then rebotted the machine read-only (like you usually boot), and got to the login prompt just fine.  I then thought that maybe something was wrong with some part of the cd image when I downloaded it.  So, I downloaded e2fsprog.tgz from slackware 8.0 via ftp, and ran diff on it against the package on the cd.  There were no differences, so I installed the newly downloaded package, and e2fsck hung again.

Is this a known problem with the e2fsprog.tgz package? If not, then could there be any reason why I'm having a problem with it? I should add that mke2fs, tune2fs, and dosfsck run fine without any options passed to them.  So, the problem only seems to be with the e2fsck binary.
Greg