fortran compiler for linux question

jwantz at hpcc2.hpcc.noaa.gov jwantz at hpcc2.hpcc.noaa.gov
Fri Aug 3 15:11:54 EDT 2001

Greg, there is currently no free f90 compilers out there.  However there
is a GNU FORTRAN 90 project out there and presumably there will be one
sometime in the indefinite future.  Why anyone would willingly work with
such a language is beyond me.  I've been coding in various flavors of
FORTRAN since 1981 and I have hated it since 1986 when I discovered C.
One very irritating about FORTRAN 66/77/90/95 is that real compatability
does not exist from compiler to compiler.  I am not talking about vendor
extensions either, I'm talking really basic standards.