searching with lynx and speakup

Rich Caloggero rjc at MIT.EDU
Wed Aug 1 19:39:02 EDT 2001

I know this isn't a windows list, but I really have to chime in here. I use
webferret. What it does is to query a large set of search engines
simultaneously (about 30 or so), and displays the results in a listbox. Its
similar to an windows explorer window, letting you view details or list or
icons, etc. Its small, about 800k and you can get it from zdnet.
It really does work well!
                    rich

----- Original Message -----
From: "Janina Sajka" <janina at afb.net>
To: <speakup at braille.uwo.ca>
Sent: 01 August, 2001 4:47 PM
Subject: Re: searching with lynx and speakup

Greg:

I usually use Yahoo, and/or Google, and sometimes Infoseek, in that order
of preference. The reason I like Yahoo is that the hits I get aren't
triplicated as they are with the other engines' caching and "find more
like this one' buttons. Of course, Yahoo has a larger nav bar to plow
through.

I'll be interested in what others do. What we need is a good proxy with a
Python or Perl script to knock off those nav-bar links for us. There's
isn't much I miss from Windows, but JFW claims to do this, and I have no
doubt it is the way to go and an achievable objective.
 On Wed, 1 Aug 2001,
Gregory Nowak wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I know I'll probably get lots of answers for this one.
> Is there a good search engine that works well
> with lynx and speakup?
> I used to use 37.com, but they've reddesigned their sight
> since, so that I can't use lynx with
> it anymore.
> Thanks in advance.
> Greg

Janina Sajka, Director
Technology Research and Development
Governmental Relations Group
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Email: janina at afb.net Phone: (202) 408-8175

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp