Suse.

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sun Apr 29 02:28:29 EDT 2001

Hi:

SUSE is a distribution of linux, in the same way as debian, slackware,
redhat and mandrake are.  The issue with SUSE is mainly that, as far as I
know, no-one's made boot disks for it with speakup compiled in.  Whether
this is because the SUSE installer is graphical and is thus unusable with
speakup, or merely that no-one's gotten around to doing it, I do not know.

Speakup should run under all linux distributions for the PC, providing you
don't try to run it under Xwindows of course.  AFAIK, speakup should work
under some other architectures with little or no modification, though this
is largely untested.  For the moment, speakup can't run under any other
unix operating systems, as it needs to be compiled into the kernel which
obviously differs across operating systems.  I don't know how many other
unix variants have kernels that would lend themselves to being modified
like this, but I dare say that such porting is a long way down any lists of
things to do.

Geoff.