modem for linux

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Fri Apr 27 17:40:08 EDT 2001

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> If it has jumpers, that probably means that the modem is not plug and play. Since Linux supports pnp modems, I'd recommend getting one, since that just means you need to put the card and go without playing with the modem more then you need to.

Sorry, but this doesn't follow. Many a good plug and play card (especially
modems) have jumpers. They are there for when things forget the second
half and just plug. This happens more often then many realize. And before
anyone says something about "reasonably new hardware," it happens there
also. I just dealt with it this week with a two year old computer build by
a leader in the Plug and Pray movement.

Also, along the same lines, Linux only recently became truely plug and
pray friendly. There are a large number of Win NT version 3.5 and 4.0
boxes still arround. And neither of these deals well.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Nothing is hard if you know the answer or are used to doing it.