account permissions.

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Sun Apr 22 14:32:57 EDT 2001

You are definitely going to need to read the howtos on chmod and permissions but here is a quick overview.  When you do an ls -l on a file or directory you
see at the left 10 characters.  I'll list them below and what they mean.  An example output might be something like:

-rwxr-xr-x	1	raul	users	1028	Mar 12 11:47	testfile

The first part of the output is mainly what I'm going to describe.  These are the permissions.  If it is a regular file the first character will be a dash.  If it is a
directory the first character will be a d.  In the example above we are dealing with a file.  Following are 9 characters, where the first 3 are for the owner
permissions, second 3 are for group permissions and last 3 are for world permissions.  The order of each set of 3 marks is rwx where if the attribute is enabled
you will see the letter and if not you will see a dash in its place.  r means read, w means write and x means executable.  In the above example this file is
read/write/executable by owner and just read/executeable by group and world.  This is a common state for a script which you want everyone to have
access.

The following shows the numbers corrisponding to the permissions to you can change them.

0 = ---
1 = --x
2 = -w-
3 = -wx
4 = r--
5 = r-x
6 = rw-
7 = rwx

To change permissions use chmod followed by a number followed by the filename.  The number is a 3 digit number which means owner/group/world.  So to
set the permissions for this file I would have typed chmod 755 testfile.  If I only want the owner and group to have access to this file I can give it 770 or 750
where 7 activates all attributes for this file for the owner and depending on what I want either 7 will give the same permissions for a group or 5 will give only
read/execute permissions for the group.  In any case the world will not have access to this file at all.  Once the permissions are set the way I want I can
create a group say called test and give only the users that I put in that group access to this file.  For this you would need to chown the file to root.test so that
the root owns the file and test is the group it's in.  Then I add the users to the test group and they would have access.

As you can see this is only the surface I've touched on.  There is a lot more to permissions and groups but this might give you a start.

Regards.