heeeeeelp!

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Sun Apr 22 11:17:59 EDT 2001

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Shaun Oliver wrote:
> Hi guys I need some help and how?
> could somebody tell me the correct configuration for .fetchmailrc to receive meil as a host computer conected to a lan?
> as the situation stands, I am the host computer and my partnet runs an nt server well, windows 2000 professional.
> for some reason I just can't get the mail to go to /home/shauno/mail
> and also how do I set up my sound card with out starting x? I can't run x cause I get some complaint about the x server not being able to start.
> sorry to bother you further but is there a way I can set my cd rom to read all cdrom file types? if so, what's the entry that should be in the /etc/fstab?
> thanks 1000000 guys shaun..

First, I don't think you understand fetchmail. In every configuration I
have heard of or seen it places all retrieved mail into your mail program
(such as sendmail, qmail, or exim). It is then the job of the Mail
Transport (MTA) to place it in your mailbox. Now the default is that the
mailbox is /var/spool/mail/username. The easiest way I know of to move it
to your home directory is to make this a softlink. (By the way ownership
is usename.mail.)

As for setting up your sound card, X is not really your friend. I believe
(and could be wrong) that you must setup the card outside X first if it
were to work in X. As for how to do that, it depends (I know the answer
sucks). What drivers are you using? The kernel drivers have one way, the
ALSA drivers are done another, and OSS yet another. I believe that OSS
drivers install themselves in a semi-automatic routine. But they also cost
money.

I recomend you go to www.alsa-project.org and read the documentation and
download the correct driver for your card. That is the most popular
here. Then if you have trouble post back with what errors are being
generated and some of the people familiar with them can help out from
there.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Nothing is hard if you know the answer or are used to doing it.