net access under Linux progress and questions

Gregory Nowak romualt at megsinet.net
Sun Apr 15 00:06:20 EDT 2001

Hello all,

For those who are interested, I have a progress report and a few questions.  To make a long story short, I finally managed to locate some documentation for the pctel modem driver under linux (how about that).  It turns out that my type of pctel modem is not supported by the driver (it only seems to support 2 main types).  After not much thinking, I went this morning to buy a rather expensive (but probably worth it) pci hardware modem. Since this morning, I managed to set up ppp, and can dial my ISP.  I can telnet, ftp, use lynx and the works (or so it seems).  The only thing I can't do is send or receive e-mail.  Could someone please let me know how to get started with sendmail/fetchmail? I don't want anything fancy, just to be able to get mail from and send mail to my ISP'S mail server. Sendmail itself appears to be installed correctly since I can send mail to user at localhost without a problem.  Also, I noticed that when I'm using lynx off-line and type a url, it doesn't bri!
ng up my ppp script to dial my ISP.  How do I fix that.  Thanks for any help in advance.
Greg

P.S.  So far, I like the way linux handles internet as opposed to windblows.