Installing From Boot Disk

Gregory Nowak romualt at megsinet.net
Sun Apr 1 19:36:02 EDT 2001

Hi,

You need to install a talking kernel on your hard disk.  You need to download the kernel for your synth from the speakup site (and I don't mean the boot disk kernel, I mean the regular kernel).  Put that on a DOS flopy.  From here I'm assuming you have a log in prompt and are able to log in as root.  If the above is correct, then do the following
1.  Put the flopy with the kernel in the drive.
2.  type the following without the quotes: "mount /dev/fd0 /mnt"
3.  Type the following after pressing enter when you're done with step 2: "cp -a /mnt/" kernelname " /vmlinuz" and press enter.  Kernelname is the name of the kernel that you just downloaded.
3.  Type: "lilo", and press enter.
4.  Type: reboot", and press enter.  You're system should restart talking.
If you're not able to log in as assumed above, then I'm not sure what you should do.  If any of this is incorrect since I'm running Slackware 7.1 myself, then somebody please feel free to correct me.
Greg