wave file editor to play with

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Fri Sep 29 13:35:36 EDT 2000

Hi people -

If anyone would like to play with a wave file editor I have written, you
are welcome to download it from:

http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh/afix-0.01.tgz

I call it "afix" (audio fixer) and perhaps there is enough information in
the README and in the program's help screens to get started. Basically it
reads and writes .wav files, and lets you do tricks with the data while it
is in memory - splitting and joining tracks, adjusting the gain, trimming
out soft passages or loud passages (usually silences or clicks), adding
silent markers between tracks that are preserved when the files are
written and reread, copying, dropping, playing, and saving segments or the
whole file, etcetera etcetera. If your system is equipped with lame it can
also save wave files conveniently as mp3 files. If it is equipped with
mpg123 you can conveniently read mp3 files as wave files. If you have the
combination of trplayer and vsound you can read realmedia files as wave
files as well. Of course you can use lame, mpg123, and trplayer/vsound
without afix to do the same thing, but afix hides the interface and
integrates their use within the context of a wave file editor. The program
also relies on sox and the sox play script for converting some peculiar
wave files and playing samples. Of course it uses a command line interface
and is speech friendly, and it runs on modest systems - my system is so
modest it is practically bashful!!! 16 megs ram, 133 MHz 5x86, Slackware
4.0.

The tgz package is the source package and there are instructions for
compiling and installing. Feedback is appreciated. I have a zillion other
features I want to add, but there is enough here of interest to share with
others who might be interested. Feedback is welcome. Especially about
"segmentation faults" which I believe I have exterminated. (famous last
words!)

Chuck.

My web site is http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh
Q:	How does a single woman in New York get rid of cockroaches?
A:	She asks them for a commitment.