New user encountering problems

Jacob Schmude jacobs at ncinter.net
Fri Sep 22 23:14:17 EDT 2000

Hi
	Well, the first issue sounds like a link is wrong. For a RedHat
6.2 system, here's how to go about installing the kernel:
	1. cd /usr/src/linux
	2. configure it with make config. When the speakup option appears,
press y. Now, make sure you select the correct synth. When it prompts you,
for the synth, enter "decexp" without the quotes. Finish configuring
	3. make dep clean modules
	4. Now move the old modules directory to a new name to avoid
symbol version conflicts. The command to do it is (assuming kernel version
is 2.2.14-5.0):
mv /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0 /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0.old
	5. make modules_install
	6. make bzImage
	Now, check a few things. Check lilo.conf to make sure it is
configured to use the kernel version you have. assuming you simply
installed the kernel-source provided with RH 6.2, and haven't made any
modifications to lilo.conf, it should be set up correctly for you already.
	Now, finally type make install. This will take care of the links
to the kernel for you. RH has a different way to do this than other
distros.
	You shouldn't modify kernel links manually on RH, it seems to be
picky. It also seems to be the distro most sensitive to any kernel change.

	Now, let's deal with the synth problem. My guess is that speakup
is not finding the synth. Put the synth on com1 and supply this parameter
to your kernel command line:
speakup_ser=0
	To do this, assuming you were booting with the disk image that
works, you would type the following at the boot: prompt
linux speakup_ser=0
	I'm not precisely sure how rh creates their bootdisks. I believe
it will append the root=/dev/partition line automatically, but if not you
must also supply that parameter.

Hope this helps.

Jacob