dsl and the confusedness the howto brings about various protocols

Brent Harding bharding at ufw2.com
Wed Sep 13 22:03:57 EDT 2000

Security on the inside, really isn't a big deal, likely, as everyone would
have physical access to all machines anyways, although, I would know if
someone got my linux box, as it'd have to be shut down to hack it at the
physical end.
At 05:40 AM 9/12/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Actually Frank's right. It does help to add a second NIC as far as
security goes because even though your using private ips for your boxes
there's still the chance that someone can get in to your box if they know
what esubnet your using by spoofing their source address.
>In this way you can block certain types of traffic from entering based on
the interface meaning eth0 or eth1.
>This helps because you wouldn't want people accessing your samba shares
from the outside would you?
>You could disallow samba traffic both ways on the first NIC while letting
it work on the second.
>Also with this method you can be secure from the outside and be as
unsecure as you wana be on the inside.