Some Elementary Pre-Install Questions

Moshe Segal msegal at ameritech.net
Mon Sep 11 02:57:02 EDT 2000

Hi.  I have been on this list for several weeks, and decided to read the
various subject threads before posting.  I am feeling somewhat discouraged,
as most of the subjects discussed seem to imply that most of you already
have Linux up and running, which leaves me in back of the line.

At this point, I have not installed Linux on my system, though I have taken
some preparatory steps, including downloading the packages of interest and
creating the boot disk from the image at the Speakup FTP site.  I have also
downloaded and periodically review Joe Norton's Real Audio tutorials.

Before I take the big plunge, I have a few basic questions:

1.  Currently, I am running Win98 with two physical hard drives (not just
partitions on a single drive), my C drive being about 6.5 GB and my D drive
being 2 GB.  Since I am mainly using my D drive for storage, I can easily
transfer the data to the C drive during the re-formatting and
re-partitioning.  If I plan to use both OS's, do I need to have them on the
same physical drive?

2.  Assuming that the answer to question 1 is yes,  I understand that it is
possible to make a choice at boot-up which OS to use.  Do those choices
speak?  If not, Can I make the choice easily without sighted assistance?

If this is not the right place to go to have these questions answered,
please indicate where I should subscribe.  Additionally, as I am receiving
the digests of the list, I request that I get my answers separate from the
list; either answer me privately, or put me in the CC field, so that I can
keep the answers separate.  Thanks and regards.
	Moshe Segal