Time restrictions on users' accounts

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.eu.org
Sun Sep 10 20:13:32 EDT 2000

There are a multitude of ways of doing this.
Firstly what sort of users and how many?
There is a file in /etc/porttime or similar that sets login restrictions as
far as login is concerned.
If you want session limits you want something like timeoutd or idled to
inforce them. If you want multiple login protection you can get programs to
do it or write a script that looks in the who output for duplicates and kills
them off.

If you want databases of users, time limits, multiple login restrictions,
bandwidth statistics, etc etc etc look into installing a RADIUS
(Remote authentication dial-in user service) daemon,
and portslave or similar to talk to it.
Many isps use little Linux boxes to do this and backend the whole shabang into
an mysql database of mamoth proportions.

Regards, Kerry.