new user with slackware questions

Scott Howell showell at n3byy.yi.org
Sun Sep 10 20:11:48 EDT 2000

If your only using the box as a firewall, you need very little. Its
actually recommended to only have what it takes to boot the box and in
that case a floppy would work.

If you plan to use this box as a router/firewall and server, you'll need
to decide what services you plan to run like ftp, http, telnet, will you
be using nfs at all, aand so on.

You can pretty much not bother with any X apps which will save you space
for sure, news readers and such unless you plan to telnet into the box to
read mail and so on, and there's like lots of other stuff you won't need.

Go through the packages during the instllation and look at each and decide
at that point. You can always add or remove what you don't want.

Contact me if you have other questions and I'll be happy to help as much
as I can.