which prebuilt linux boxes seem to work best?

Steve Dawes sdawes at telusplanet.net
Thu Oct 19 18:08:31 EDT 2000

This type of opinion is personal, and I think that it is uncalled for on the
list.  Everyone has their favorate.  What works for some, is not always what
works for others.

Prior to getting in to the linux environment, I didn't know which way to go.
I finally took the plunge, and started off with a version of RedHat.  It was
5.2 I think.  Since then I have install RH6.2 and RH7.  In addition to the
RH installs, I have also installed Debian.  I have noticed little difference
in the performance of the machine regardless of the distribution.  What I
have noticed, is that each distribution has some nice features that I wish
the other had.  How, I think that the best distribution, would be the one,
that took all of the features of all distributions, merged them into one
great big distribution, and just for fun called it Jack of all trades.

Anyways, my recommendation to Brent, would be to take the distribution that
he is comfortable with, and go for it.  If he is not sure which way to go,
drop in on to the reflector, and talk to everyone.  The folks on the
reflector have Debian, Slackware, RedHat, and I don't know what else
successfully running.

Oh yeah, the speakup reflector is located at:
lwl.braille.uwo.ca:4074
and you need speak freely to access it.
if you don't have speak freely, get it at:
www.speakfreely.com
it has both a linux and windows version.

Steve, VE6AYT