best way to install linux to a laptop

Brent Harding bharding at ufw2.com
Wed Oct 18 18:50:18 EDT 2000

I do have a CD burner, but it's usb. Why did I be silly enough to get that?
Well, for Christmas I got it, and the most linux I was in to was my isp's
shell account, which when I switched I no longer have. Wouldn't I just dd
the CD to a file, and put in my own kernel?
Like, dd if=/dev/cdrom of=linux.img, and mount it up with
mount -o loop linux.img /mnt? Then just copy in my system kernel, and
unmount? If I did this, however getting this file on CD from linux will be
hard unless there's an usb driver for hp cdwriter 8200 pluses.  Where do
all those packages come from linuxconf can't seem to locate, like setting
up ppp accounts, and the like? It seems not to find the shell it suggests.
If I ever get broadband I might actually use this to dial my system when at
a remote location with my laptop to get online.
There's no other way to tell my linux box to disconnect so I could get on
without getting an initial connection somewhere.
Sharing the IP without ipmasking, (just simply dialing another system on to
it) doesn't work, and I've tested it, both ifconfigs turn up identical when
the machines are online.