network configuration problem

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Mon Oct 16 16:42:54 EDT 2000

> That's just it, the readme doesn't say what I need, I just kind of got
> debian going by downloading the files from the speakup site, through a
> buggy install, putting things in, and choosing packages I usually used.
> It's some game I was trying to compile, errors come with the functions

A few observations:
1.  A buggy install can hardly be considered a fair representation of a
distribution or operating system. (That goes for any of them including
winblows.)

2.  When you take the oportunity to choose which packages you need, you
take the chance you chose worngly. Unless you are ready to suffer the
consequences, you should accept some choices made for you. At least the
current version of Debian offers to setup a basic system for you.

3.  When you give "details" that amount to "some game" gave some errors
with functions you are not giving useful information. First, it is
possible someone here knows the game and why you got errors (like that it
requires some often uninstalled package or something). Second the exact
message can sometimes actually reveal the problem. This only works if the
error is known. Even if the error doesn't get as specific as "you forgot
to add the whatzit to the whereisit." it may mean something to those
offering to help.

4.  Until you are quite comfortable I would recomend picking one and
staying with it for awhile. Learn the ins and outs. First time out of the
box accept the defaults. Without some reason saying otherwise you should
trust that the people spending hours and hours of their time putting
things together had some small amount of knowledge and reason for choosing
the way they did. If you can't accept that then just start with the
information on making your own distribution. Of course if you are that
capable, you probably don't need my lengthy comments.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net