Building a new system....

Terry D. Cudney tcudney at home.com
Sun Oct 15 14:05:27 EDT 2000

Hi Frankie (and anybody else interested in this thread),

	Thanks for the input onthe Thunderbird chip. I checked the AMD website (www.amd.com) and found some info on the Duron and Athlon, but only one brief mention of the Thunderbird in a FAQ. The Duron, as you said is  a less-cache chip. It has only 192k of on-chip cache. The Athlon's now in production, have  128k L1, and 256k L2 on-chip cache with a 200 MHz front side bus. The new Athlon L2 cache runs at full speed. The new Athlons use Socket A (as do the Duron's) not Slot A.

	It appears that the Thunderbird was the codename internal to AMD while developing the on-chip L2 cache system. The new Athlon's have it incorporated, along witht he new Socket A packaging. There's only $8 difference between an 800 MHz Thunderbird and an 800 MHz Athlon from my supplier here in Canada, so I figure that we'd be better to get a Socket A motherboard that will hopefully support future Athlons. Right now there are only three motherboards on the AMD approved/tested list that will support both the Duron and the Athlon: Abit KT7, FIC AZ-11, and  Gigabyte GA-7ZX. I'm kinda leaning towards building a system with oneo of these boards and a Duron 600 (($100). When the prices  come down on the Athlon 1.1 GHz it'd be easy to pop one into the board.

	Does anyone have any experience with motherboards from these manufacturers (Abit, FIC and Gigabyte)? or any other pointers? I'm looking for all the info I can get before I start collecting components.

	Thanks in advance to all