network configuration problem

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.eu.org
Thu Oct 12 21:13:23 EDT 2000

Wow! A volume knob on a modem would be a good idea but over here in
Australia we don't get that option. I have used many modems;
Netcomm banxia dynalink rockwell based noname us robotics and sadly none of
them have this feature.

Another note:
Never never never add &w to theinit string of a modem.
Why? because over time the nvram will fail they only handle 10,000 writes and
if you &w every time you init hte modem that limit can come up.

Regarding the &f1 cludge; There is a far better way to handle this on
most modems.
Check your manual. You will find that there is an option to tell the modem
what profile to load at powerup. &y does it on one of my modems.
Then simply set modem to &d2 (dtr drops line but does not load profile) and
whenever you power cycle the modem it will reload the profile. If you set &d3
(reload profile on dtr drop) mgetty will break and bad things (tm) happen.

My preferred solution to the modem has brain damaged defaults for hw flow control
is to find the command to set hardware flow control often &k3 or similar,
run that and at&w the setting back into profile zero. This means you don't
have to change the default powerup profile and the default profile should be
the one you use on most equiptment anyway in my not so humble opinion.

Regards, Kerry.