down for the count

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Mon Oct 2 19:07:22 EDT 2000

Thanks, Frankie... The jury is still out on whether this baby can be
recussitated. I have been able to squeeze a lot of performance out of a
minimum system for too many years now, and I kind of hope it is hopeless! My
first impulse was to give up "doing it myself" and buy it already done for
me, but I am not going to do that after all. This old box of mine actually
has a bunch of new components - an 8G hard drive, an AWE64 card, a fast CD
(though it doesn't write) -- mostly it is short on the processor and memory
side. Depending on the diagnosis it might make the most sense to keep the
quality components and give it a new engine. I really did a number on my
file system though, so it looks like I will finally ditch this Slackware 4.0
distro that I have been using.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Chuck.