down for the count

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Sun Oct 1 12:08:09 EDT 2000

Victor,

The problem of dependancies when selecting individual packages is exactly
the problem I am talking about. The fact is, that all distros have this
same kind of thing going on (as far as I have seen). You don't have
something that raises red flags when selecting individual packages to let
you know about dependancy requirements.

My ideal situation would allow you to go through individual packages
(grouped by what they do) and select them. It would then either
automatically take care of dependancies (with a way to see what was
automatically selected) or just keep a list of unfulfilled
dependancies. Ideally it would allow you to see just how many packages
were resting on a dependancy. (As an example you might see a lot of
packages requiring libc but only one or two requireing a more obscure
library.)

I would also use this oportunity to allow you to sellect what server to
install if you say you would like to have smtp server. Most distros of
course select sendmail for this. They figure it does everything. But many
people don't need everything.

--
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net