"Virtual Memory exhausted" message during compilation

Victor Tsaran vtsaran at nimbus.ocis.temple.edu
Sun Oct 1 08:29:38 EDT 2000

Hello, listers!
I was wondering if some of you know the remeedy or have any clues asto what
this message means in this context.
Earlier today I wrote that I am trying to compile Napster client on a
Bigslack7.1-powered machine. In order for PERL to run the Napster client, it
needs to support multiple threads. So, I started to recompile my PERL5.60.
Everything goes fine through configuration stage, I can start Make. However,
as soon as Make gets to queering Posix libraries, it always exits with the
following message:

"Posix.o: Virtual memory exhausted".

I thought initially that it has to do with the size of a swapfile. So, I
increased it to 128MB, my system RAM is only 32 MB. However, the message
persists.
I tried to compile PERL for both dynamic and static loading. Both cases
fail.
Jacob, do you have any suggestions?
Anyone?

Thanks in advance,
Vic

have you thought of visiting Cybertsar's Internet Kingdom? It is still
alive!
Here is the URL:
http://nimbus.ocis.temple.edu/~vtsaran/