cvs help?

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Thu Nov 30 11:12:47 EST 2000

I would really rather defer to someone more savvy than I am with the cvs
matter. I got mine working, but in my case the recommended steps worked as
advertised - if they had not, I would have been lost!!! I will outline
what I did and maybe someone else can be of more help to you than I can.

1. download the files "checkout" and "README.cvs" from the speakup ftp
site.
2. give "checkout" execute permissions.
3. become superuser and type "./checkout"
4. (in my case) discover that you are missing the "cvs" package and
4-a. scream for help immediately, then
4-b. read the howto called "cvs-rcs", then
4-c get and install cvs v1.11, then
4-d. repeat step 3 above.
5. checkout runs cvs which complains about no cvsroot as you reported, so
as the README says, I pressed enter and it immediately signed onto the
speakup site and asked me for the password. When I said "please" it ran
like clockwork.

If nothing in my list helps, I am sure someone here will give you a hand.

Chuck.