Problems: RH6.2 boot disk & BNS

Laurent de Fontenay 12925683 at humarga.sun.ac.za
Thu Nov 30 09:00:14 EST 2000

Hi Kirk!

Thanks for the advice.  The problem was, however, something totally
different.  This is my first experience using Linux apart from some
limited exploring of emacspeak about a year ago and I tackled it
without the help of a sighted person, which is why I missed the
option for a text or graphics mode installation at the start of the
bootup procedure.  Everything went well after typing "text <enter>"!

Some questions come to mind from your message;  read on.

On 30 Nov 00, at 7:14, Kirk Reiser wrote:

> Hi Laurent:  The appropriate settings are almost the default, 9600 n,
> 8, 1 with hardware handshake.  The unit gets best results with the
> chord-s speechbox mode.

My bns is rather antique (october 1994 revision) and doesn't have
that option.  I can, however, specify block or line handshaking.
Which would be best?

> If that doesn't work automagically you can specify speakup_ser=1 for
> com2 on the boot line after typing linux.  So for example at the boot
> prompt you would type:
>
> linux speakup_ser=1

When speaking of the boot prompt, do you mean the prompt which
one gets when booting from the stiffy or a dos prompt when booting
a system like zipspeak?  (potentially silly question, I know!)

> You use 0 for com1 and so forth.
>
> We have rewritten parts of that driver in the cvs code but I don't
> suggest you use that until you have a good understanding of linux
> first.

Well, I'll get there!  Learning a bit of Linux is one of my Xmas
holiday projects, which I hope will be very fruitful.

Thanks for your efforts in helping to make it accessible!

Laurent